Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Re: What hardware do you use to record live multiplayer matches at 720p?

Mar 12, 2013

@munnsy1 Was that statement to me? The laptop does have a HDMI slot.

Anyone, I was thinking of buying a Elgato but I have not done one bit of research, my computer is too far away and my laptop does not have a HDMI slot.

Is that needed to work the Elgato?

Message 11 of 22 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1848 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 12, 2013

munnsy1 wrote:

Anyone, I was thinking of buying a Elgato but I have not done one bit of research, my computer is too far away and my laptop does not have a HDMI slot.

Ah I see.

It goes PS3 component to Elgato then it splits to two places:

The first output routes back to your PC monitor/TV via HDMI so you can see what you're doing.
The second output links to your computer via USB.

That's how I understand it right now. Will know better in a week or two when I have it all set up :smileyhappy:

Check the link: http://www.gamecapture.com/#!/be-the-best

Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Message 12 of 22 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4568 posts

Mar 12, 2013
Yeah the Hauppauge is the same, you can use HDMI for Xbox 360 but the Ps3 you need component because the HDMI is encrypted :'(

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Message 13 of 22 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
770 posts

Mar 13, 2013

Hey Pete!!

I need to throw in a "same pinch" as we used to call it but yeah, I have a Lenovo Ideapad Z580 and it is an excellent laptop! I have some issues with my USB ports somehow but that's a windows problem more than anything I think and I'll fix that out soon. My issue however is with the Elgato. I feel it is hyped up and the fact that it looks sleek and awesome is a mirage to the truth.

Firstly, the requirements of an Elgato from your machine is far higher than that of a Hauppauge. Secondly, considering that we are discussing the PS3 side of things only - we don't have the option to use HDMI so that's gone out of the door and thirdly, it depends solely on your machine for processing the video (from what I understand) therefore, this somehow seems to have more "demands" 

I had a Hauppauge HD PVR gaming edition and I sold it off to buy this but I I swear to god that I miss my Hauppauge because the Elgato has come up with a lot of problems for me and it has the worst support I have ever experienced. After a week of hate mails I get a response 2 days back. Since then I have not heard from them and I don't think I will. I have issues like ongoing recording sessions freezing and sometimes the software in itself turning non-response. I am sure I can probably get an RMA but for that, the support needs to give me an RMA order using which I could go to the dealer to get a new device. My experience with the Elgato has been disastrous. I have spoken about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcDfOZCWY2k

Hope this helps you decide :smileyhappy:

-RyukDG

My YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/TheRyukDG || My Twitch: www.twitch.tv/TheRyukDG
Message 14 of 22 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1674 posts

Mar 13, 2013
This laptop seems to have good specs for the price: http://www.medion.com/gb/prod/MEDION%C2%AE+AKOYA%C2%AE++P6635+%28MD98232%29/30014916A1

Check it out and let me know what you think. It has an Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor, Windows® 8, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M graphics card, 1,000 GB hard drive, 8 GB RAM etc for £509
Message 15 of 22 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2216 posts

Mar 13, 2013
Windows 8 is said to be horrible for laptops and desktops. Haven't tested it myself though.

Signature02.png

Message 16 of 22 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1674 posts

Mar 13, 2013
OMG the specs for the laptop that I found are exactly the same as the specs you posted for the Lenovo laptop that you found! The exact same processor, same amount of RAM, same hard drive space, same graphics card and the same Operating System. However the laptop I found is cheaper.

Does anybody know which company makes more reliable/better quality laptops? Medion or Lenovo?
Message 17 of 22 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1674 posts

Mar 13, 2013
If the laptop is mainly going to be used for video editing/uploading, the OS doesn't really matter. If the OS is lightweight, meaning it doesn't use much system resources like RAM, then Windows 8 is fine. The question is: Is Windows 8 a lightweight Operating System?
Message 18 of 22 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2216 posts

Mar 13, 2013
@Ferrari

Most likely not, it's just said to have annoying controls. It's mainly focused on tablets and some of the things you need slide on a touch screen also need to be slided with the mouse on PC. My dad tested it for his work.

Signature02.png

Message 19 of 22 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Mar 15, 2013

PeteX19 wrote:

munnsy1 wrote:

Ah I see.

It goes PS3 component to Elgato then it splits to two places:

The first output routes back to your PC monitor/TV via HDMI so you can see what you're doing.
The second output links to your computer via USB.

That's how I understand it right now. Will know better in a week or two when I have it all set up :smileyhappy:

Check the link: http://www.gamecapture.com/#!/be-the-best

Shucks to that then. I just feel bad asking my friend to record everything, lol.

Message 20 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes