Highlighted
Mar 01 2013
By: Asraik Survivor 2224 posts

Why Uncharted F2P Was Executed Horribly & Patch 1.17 Review [Updated]

[ Edited ]
19 replies 1414 views Edited Mar 1, 2013

Okay so normally I don't do commentary or talk in a video but I decided it would be a good decision rather than writing out a long, huge post and getting a TL;DR from people who can't read. (Yes they exist, and I feel so bad for them.) I don't like my voice, and I can't really control how it sounds. Sorry if you don't like it, it's something we agree on. Also sorry about mistakes and/or cutting off near the end for a period of time, it was issues on my part. ANYWAYS this is how I feel about the patch and the whole F2P thing. For my second video recording (with my voice in it) I didn't do that bad considering I did the whole recording in one segment (in one shot) and it might be a little low at some points so you may want to turn your volume up although I could hear it fine at a low level. Sorry about that also, considering I didn't want to yell at the top of my lungs, have someone come in and ask what the heck I was doing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction:

Okay first off I don’t usually do commentary or whatever this is. I thought it suited the occasion more. Now I know what you’re thinking “Asraik, free to play isn’t bad.” I agree with you, however the way Naughty Dog has done it is beyond redemption and just stupid. Free to play is a brilliant idea in its context as it allows new players to play the game and attracts more people. It is stupid the way Naughty Dog has done it and I’ll get to that in a minute. I’ve included these parts into section and may do a part 2 of this talking more about how I feel. I’ve included links in the description of where I got the information, and the views are my own. You may not agree with them however I thought I should share them anyhow. So first off:

Pricing:

This has shown not only Naughty Dog to be greedy, but idiots at their job (at least someone is, whoever decided this was a good idea.) So first let me tell you the pricing of the current Uncharted 3 items available in relation to Free to Play.

In North America:

• UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Competitive MP – Level 25 Limit – $4.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Competitive MP – No Level Limit – $19.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Co-op Adventure Add On – $11.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Co-op Arena Add On – $9.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer DLC Map Packs – $24.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer French Language Pack – Free
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Spanish Language Pack – Free
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Splitscreen Add On – $1.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Single Player Experience – $29.99

In Europe:

• Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception Single Player (£19.99/€24.99)
  • Co-Op Adventure Playlist (£7.29/€8.99)
  • Co-Op Arena Playlist (£6.49/€7.99)
  • Competitive Multiplayer No Level Limit (£11.99/€14.99)
  • Multiplayer Level 25 Limit (£3.19/€3.99)
  • Multiplayer Split-Screen (£1.19/€1.49)
  • Multiplayer Map Packs (£15.99/€19.99)

Okay first thing I noticed this Free to Play idea failed right off the back. I was expecting something like Team Fortress 2 were it was actually free to play and they would make money off of micro transactions or DLC in general. Checking the price in other locations outside of the PlayStation Store, I could find a used copy of Uncharted 3 for $15 - $20 although you could probably find it cheaper if you looked hard enough. Obviously you’d still need an Online Pass ($10) so it would cost around $30, so you might as well buy the GOTY edition for the total $40 and save a huge amount of money. Anyone who pays for the above is an idiot (less it is the GOTY edition.) For $20 (with an extra $30 for an online pass) I can get the single player, Co-op packs, split screen, and no level limit multiplayer. Even more so I could buy the game of they year edition for an extra $10 and get the DLC map packs. The person who came up with F2P doesn’t know what that means. No one will buy your game or its content with your absurd pricing. Although their ‘could’ (using the word lightly) be sales or it be given to PS+ free the game is two years old and that people are moving on. Naughty Dog is showing they don’t care about the players but have they ever?

I mean they sold an Elena skin which is unlocked at level 10 – 15 as DLC when it could be easily earned in game. Anything we ever wanted patched or fix has been ignored. They’ve only destroyed this game with each patch, and their Free to play scam has only made it worse. Two months since the last patch and this is what you do? Naughty Dog has shown they are trying to make a quick buck off of any player who takes interest or its Uncharted fan base. Is this surprising? Not really. The best thing is one of the Naughty Dog developers posting “we don’t give away free copies of our game unless it is for a good cause. We’d be out of business if we did.” No that’s not how it works. Team Fortress 2 makes money because they know what they are doing. You don’t give out free copies of this game yet it is suppose to be free to play. This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Another thing from the same ND employee “Tell your friends to buy the full game; you know what it is worth. You’ve been supporting us this long, we’ve continuously give and anyone who might be interested their choice in the series. Spread the word.” First off why the hell would I do that, this game is broken as heck. I have a really good friend in New Zealand I’d love to play with but I’m in Canada. I doubt he’ll like your game because of what you’ve done with it, I’m not going him going to ask him to spend $20 - $40 to play a broken, unfinished game that is still unfixed with 17 or so patches. No one will play this game because you don’t even support your own game, so what makes you think I’ll tell people to buy it and support it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Patch:

Okay so looking at the patch. First off we’ll talk about the Naughty Dog icon. What? It’s here to show you’ve played the multiplayer before patch 1.17, yet it’s so stupid. You wasted an entire two months for this and no one asked for it. EVERYONE has it, because the only people who stuck around this long are the fans you treat like **bleep**. You said you’d explain in the Blog Post (two days ago actually) the reasoning behind it, yet all I see is a waste of space for something else to have been fixed/included. Not to mention you could have picked up the multiplayer for one day, tried it out, never touched it again and still have this icon out of ‘loyalty.’

One of the best thing about the patches, removing certain medals in Objective modes unrelated to the Objective (Team Objective and Plunder), increasing the value of certain medals in this mode, and changing some of the requirements of some of these medals in these modes. This is great however this won’t make people stay for your game, unless they are a trophy hunter or a regular because they aren’t going to care. Why? Due to the absurd pricing and broken mechanics it’ll drive them away.

Inactive player leaderboards reset. This is a good one but who cares. This game is two years going and players haven’t cared about the leaderboards. Unless you put up some sort of counter measure up to prevent players from boosting again they will do so. In my opinion, this isn’t a solution, just a temporary fix that will be a problem once again.

Lab maps in customs, and different labs in The Lab MAY (key word here) appear in the playlist. This is great, but it is a bit late. Thee way you’ve handled the game and the way it will keep going will drive people away. People aren’t going to be wow’d by this inclusion, and it won’t make them come back and fix this broken game. It’s another idea that has been wasted by your inability to fix the real problems at hand.

The inclusion of more colors and new DLC hats, that’s great. It’s been two years though and it has taken you this long to put new colors in. Personally I’m glad you did but no one outside your game is going to stay with it because of a few new colors or hats.

Finally it was good to have it, but the patch could have brought more with it. Just because you add things like new colors or DLC doesn’t mean people are going to stick around with your unplayable, broken game. It may lengthen the current free to play players stay but eventually they will leave also.

Lastly the Tournament system, it has its own section.

The Tournament System:

Okay so the Tournament System is the thing I hate most about this game, other than your free to play scam. First let’s see what the patch added to this god awfu- I mean wonderful system.

• Platinum tournament tier - reached at 23,500 points
  • 11 new items just for the Tournament rewards
  • Starting immediate Platinum Tournament rewards are Drake Shade Raptor Mask and Talbot Shade Dive Helmet, these will be unlocked once you acheive Platinum for the first time.
  • There are four new Platinum tier permanent unlocks for the Djinn Skin.
  • You will earn the Djinn Stunner Shades after 2 Platinum tiers.
  • You will earn the Djinn Head Wrap after 4 Platinum tiers.
  • You will earn the Djinn Helmet after 6 Platinum tiers.
  • You will earn the Djinn Horns after 8 Platinum tiers. The Djinn horns have a stat that no other item has: +Aimed Movement Speed!

Now first off this system was the stupidest system ever invented. The tournament prizes you win are temporary, except for a limited amount of items when you reach Gold or Platinum tiers. The amount of tickets you start with is absurd, with only getting 10 that you often lose to lag, disconnects, and other things that aren’t your fault. Don’t worry Naughty Dog has figured out a way to scam you here to. You can buy tickets from the PlayStation Store for a certain amount of money. Why would anyone buy them for a stupid skin or item, well the only thing of value is the game breaking Djinn Horns that allow for Platinum tier Fleet Foot to be reached. Anyone who buys from them is an idiot, tickets shouldn’t be bought. Yet Platinum, even Gold is almost impossible to reach with your 10 tournament tickets that you get weekly/daily. The whole system was a stupid cash grab and show how ND really works. The only thing they care about is money, and this tournament system proves that as they are willing to put an overpowered, game breaking item as a reward for the tournament system. This is pay to win, nothing more, and nothing less. I could go on about this forever but I think you get the point.

Party Splits, Dead Body Glitch – Not Fixed:

1.15 was supposed to fix it, and it is patch 1.17 and it still hasn’t been fixed. Yup you guessed it, party splitting. The incompetence of Naughty Dog is beyond wonders. It has been something that has been happening since the BETAS and your game’s release. Yet you still haven’t fixed it in two years.

Next a Naughty Dog developer stated the Dead Body glitch has been fixed. Was I surprised when I found out it wasn’t fixed? Not really, ND is really incompetent if they can’t talk with the team that makes patches to confirm whether something is fixed or not  or can they REALLY not fix anything in this game?

Version differences:

First off the Uncharted 3 downloadable multiplayer doesn’t have LAN mode. Some people may not care, however it is important to some people. This is stupid, something that comes with the disc based version of the multiplayer yet it isn’t included in the downloadable version. Way to go Naughty Dog. The Free to Play version also has advertisements which pop up for 20 – 30 seconds yet take up the entire screen and it can’t be closed much to the dismay of the player. Having an online pass and DLC doesn’t help fix the issue at hand, and I’m not sure if buying the full multiplayer version will fix the problem or even removes these ads. Its okay in context but the way it was made to work makes the F2P version unplayable in its current state. This will ultimately drive people away from your multiplayer. Yet another mistake on Naughty Dog’s part showing they care only about one thing; profit. The GOTY version and regular disc based version also aren’t compatible with the F2P version (or downloaded version) and doesn’t allow for a hard drive install. This means to play without the disc you have to pay yet again for the game, even if you want it without the disc or to act as a PSN game, they don’t care for this game, and it is all about greed for them. It’s all about how much money they can make off new players and the Community despite how much it hurts the Uncharted userbase.

The Two Man Patching Team:

So as we found out (although the length of this going on has been unknown) all patches are handled by a two man team. This means despite ND’s claims to keep supporting the Uncharted 3 game, they aren’t as they are really only providing the minimal amount of support to be able to claim they are doing so. You might as well stop supporting the game entirely because it is the same deal. Launching Uncharted 3 as F2P (although it isn’t really free to play) should have been included with a huge patch and a huge team that was going to be working on the multiplayer. I’m not hoping the game will get fixed now or ever, ND only cares about the Community when it relates to a patch, DLC or some huge event then they have minimal interaction with us, their own community and they don’t care. All Naughty Dog cares about is money, and that is what their downfall is going to be.

Community Reaction to 1.17 & Conclusion:

Most people aren’t impressed with the patch, and can you really blame them? I mean we waited two months for it and it wasn’t that great. If only two people have been working on it, it could explain the time length although you say you’ll continue supporting the game, do all this and don’t expect a backlash? Where you continuously don’t fix technical issues, not make the game balanced in terms of game play, overpowered items such as the new Djinn horns, and other such things. How did you expect people to react Naughty Dog? That they were gonna be happy with what you did? You need tons of fixes for Co-op, tons for Competitive, there were lots of things you could have done and you didn’t. You just don’t listen to the Community about any of it. I won’t be buying The Last of Us, and I’m sure a lot of other people will… great for them. I’m not going to give my money away to a company that doesn’t support its Community or the game and who makes just a generally money grabbing game. I expected something amazing when I bought the Uncharted 3 multiplayer expecting a great experience, not what you’ve done to it. If you want me to discuss certain things then comment, subscribe if you want, and I don’t know… sorry it took so long?  I may do a part two on other things about the game and how I feel about them, but it depends on if people cared enough for the first video or not.

Message 1 of 20 (1,414 Views)
Naughty Paw
20194 posts

Re: Why Uncharted F2P was a bad idea + Patch 1.17 Review

Mar 1, 2013
But F2P wasn't a bad idea; the idea itself is great, but the way it was executed was poor.
Message 2 of 20 (1,406 Views)
Survivor
2224 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
But F2P wasn't a bad idea; the idea itself is great, but the way it was executed was poor.

Watch the video, I say that. >w>

Message 3 of 20 (1,404 Views)
Naughty Paw
20194 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Asraik wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Well, I just don't feel like it.

Spoiler
inb4 everyone hates me and says I'm stupid or some other generic term for hatred.

Message 4 of 20 (1,398 Views)
Survivor
2224 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Asraik wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Spoiler
inb4 everyone hates me and says I'm stupid or some other generic term for hatred.

Want me to write it out for you? :<

Message 5 of 20 (1,396 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5143 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Asraik wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Oh no no no, you're not stupid.

^ Although I wouldn't have said it that way, this. I'd like to read it.

The concept of a F2P is good, infact if it was done right it would have been a really good move, but the way it was handled was poorly done by both Sony and Naughty Dog.

With that said I hope that I'm wrong in that it would drive people away from playing it.

Message 6 of 20 (1,389 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20194 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Asraik wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Asraik wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Spoiler

I'd much rather read something than watch a video for it, so yes, go ahead if you want.

Message 7 of 20 (1,388 Views)
Survivor
2224 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Asraik wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Asraik wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Spoiler

I'd much rather read something than watch a video for it, so yes, go ahead if you want.

It'll be up in a bit, and I'll PM you if you don't see it to let you know ^-^

Message 8 of 20 (1,379 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4570 posts

Mar 1, 2013
Great video Asraik, I agree on almost everything you said, thanks for uploading it Smiley Happy

Can you PM me your channel link and video link? I'm on my iphone so I can't like it or sub you from here Smiley Sad

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Message 9 of 20 (1,356 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2224 posts

Mar 1, 2013

shadowlibraboy wrote:
Great video Asraik, I agree on almost everything you said, thanks for uploading it Smiley Happy

Can you PM me your channel link and video link? I'm on my iphone so I can't like it or sub you from here Smiley Sad

No problem, took a long time though x.x

https://www.youtube.com/user/Samoubiystvo <- Link to my channel; Samoubiystvo.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Samoubiystvo/videos?view=0&flow=grid <- Link to my video, it is the first one in the list ^-^

Message 10 of 20 (1,352 Views)