Survivor
2195 posts

Re: Why Uncharted F2P was a bad idea + Patch 1.17 Review

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

Updated with writing, so if you don't want to watch the video then you can read instead (if that is what you like doing.) Thanks DAG for letting me know he prefered this option, and if you are glad he suggested it you can thank him yourself ^-^

Also edited the full title to more accurately reflect the content. Thanks to DAG again for this idea. :3

Raptr Gamercard
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 20 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1391 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Awesome commentary, and I sincerely hope ND sees it and gets a wake up call. The decisions they make with this game consistently  worsen. They need to actually start taking in the feedback the community gives them and release a patch that addresses the game's larger issues. The "tournament system" is ridiculous, and while they could have done something more productive (such as fixing the many bugs in their co-op portion of the game), they chose to add a Platinum tier. Where do your priorities lie, NaughtyDog?

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 20 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2376 posts

Re: Why Uncharted F2P Was Executed Horribly & Patch 1.17 Review [Updated]

Mar 1, 2013
Great video I agree with everything you said, Naughty Dog's greed is Disgusting for a 1st party studio that's basically covered they act like they are an independent 3rd party studio on the brink of chapter 13 bankruptcy, not even THQ tried to milk their games like ND does & they were suffering financially.

Naughty Dog thinks very low of their fans & they remind of Square Enix & how they destroyed Final Fantasy.
Anyways I look forward to your next video or hoping there will be a part 2, hopefully someone up at Naughty Dog sees this video.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 20 (353 Views)
Welcoming Committee
13057 posts

Mar 1, 2013

This video is so spot on. lol

I remember people telling me this game wasn't pay to win.

I know business models, i'm a business person... I know where they are headed.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 20 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Watched the video, agree with you 100%.

This "grab the money and run" tactic from ND stinks, and dont think this wont happen to TLOU....because it will.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 20 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Mar 1, 2013
F2P would be a lot more beneficial if the (pardon my French) **bleep** people that have DLC, an I know most high legacy people do, played on DLC maps. F2P can't play on DLC maps unless they buy them, so if all the chumps that want to "pwn noobs" would play on DLC like they're supposed to, then F2P would be more noob friendly.
Naughtydog, you must bring back Charlie Cutter in Uncharted 4.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 20 (288 Views)
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Mar 1, 2013

AWESOME breakdown of how things really stand (especially the pricing of stuff) where this game is concerned, Asraik!  I read the text version first (thanks DAG), watched your video second.  Can't believe the sheer gall ND has with nit picking pricing of everything you'd want in this game.  I also still can't believe how this patch was HYPED TO THE MOON, delayed at least twice (2 months of frustrating waiting), made to sound like it was going to be the most outstanding addition they've ever done and would benefit everyone.  Still don't see how this benefits anyone that had already purchased game before this.  Even worse, how does this in any way benefit someone new to U3, AT ALL?

Full game ads between matches that you have to deal with/ignore?  Ugh!!!!!!!  Sounds like crap that people would put up with when using "free internet" programs, where their ads would take up a good portion of your screen.  I seriously hope that any new person contemplating getting this "F2P" does their homework first and sees what other people have to say about it, rather than not knowing any better, getting it and then being very much so royally p i s s e d off soon afterward.

It's all about how much money can be pulled in, that's all that really matters, right?

Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 20 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

I'll try to be as objective as I can... the UC3 F2P implementation has both good and bad things:

Good:

1) You can keep playing forever for free, even after you reach Level 15. KZ3 F2P doesn't allow you to do that.

2) It will save your Blu-Ray lens from wear and tear. If everyone used F2P, we would have faster loading times and less spinning rings/freezes/black screens.

Bad:

1) Intrusive ads. Not to mention that they waste bandwidth for some people (not me, I have a fast uncapped connection).

2) The free version should include DLC maps and splitscreen (to increase the player pool).

3) To unlock the full Competitive MP, you should only pay $15, not $20.

It should also be free for PS+ subscribers, or at the very least a 50% discount should be feasible (KZ3 F2P did that). Don't forget that the Uncharted franchise is owned by Sony, just like Killzone and PS+.

People who have redeemed the UC3 online pass, should be able to unlock the full Competitive/Co-op MP. Fort Co-op Adventure DLC and Shade Co-op DLC should unlock those modes.

@ND/Eric/Arne

Spare me the SKU excuse, because it's total BS. Why? Because F2P can already recognize my Competitive DLCs (different SKU) and even some from my US account (ND AK/Para). SKU (product code) is not a proper excuse! Don't treat us like little ignorant kids; we're smarter than you think!

4) It doesn't support LAN or 3D (minor annoyance).

--

Regarding the GOTY price, I'd like to reiterate a few things:

The official MSRP* price set by Sony is $40. Yes, retailers can sell it for less than that, but that's the result of competition.

"Priced at $39.99 in the US" -> http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/uncharted_3_game_of_the_year_edition_available_now/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggested_retail_price

Also, don't forget that prices in the PS store are a bit "inflated" on purpose, because they have to account for gamesharing ($40 / 2 consoles = $20 per console).

What I don't understand is why the PAL/EU region was shafted (once again) by not having a digital GOTY edition bundle. If you think that $40 (or €30) is a lot of money, then think again: Europeans have to buy everything separately!

So Mr. Monacelli*, how do you expect me to tell my friends to buy it from the PS store, when you don't even offer a GOTY bundle?

* http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/Downloadable-UC3-sizes-amp-pric...

inb4 "SCEE is to blame"

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 20 (243 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1109 posts

Mar 1, 2013

So much...  Yellow Text

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 20 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2668 posts