Feb 20 2013
By: Merc_n_em Splicer 86 posts

Why am I lagging?

19 replies 497 views Edited Feb 20, 2013

I have high-speed internet up to 24 MBPS on Speedtest. However, I continue to lag in this game and it's extremely frustrating when my  character randomly freezes for a couple of seconds, enough time for someone to kill me.

My friend, who's internet is at a medicore 8MBPS, doesn't share this issue and I validated that fact by playing at his house.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? I hate the fact that I'm lagging because it also ruins the experience for people online. An action that is not my intention.

BTW, I have created a static ip address and opened all the ports for the PSN. My connection is wireless and I'm using a WD N900 router. Thank you in advance for any tips and advice.

Message 1 of 20 (497 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Why am I lagging?

Feb 20, 2013

Don't use wireless. Either use Ethernet or HomePlugs (google it).

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 2 of 20 (488 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

Feb 20, 2013
Do you have facebook enabled? I had this and my character will freeze or run around like a headless chicken until I disabled it and this stopped happening
Message 3 of 20 (479 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8690 posts

Feb 20, 2013

My character freezes for couple of seconds when a power play starts or the narrator lady speaks. It's enough to ruin my kill streak. I'm using a decent wireless connection. I don't bother to get a cable. 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 4 of 20 (463 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3227 posts

Feb 20, 2013
You're not the one lagging someone else is lagging
This happened to me quite a few times in a 1vs1 custom game with a friend who had really bad connection I would constantly get the white plug & he was fine though, your game experience is suffering because the coding for UC3 punishes people with fast connection & caters to the other. I've also had experiences where after getting the white plug & getting killed the games literally fast forward or gives that impression as if its trying to catch up to what's happening on the other person's side of the game.

Of course I could be wrong since I'm NO wiz on these technical stuff just my theory from experience.
Message 5 of 20 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

Feb 20, 2013
@tap could you tell me, why i sometimes lag and get the white plug - but when the match finishes - after a match when you can run around and kill people for a few seconds - the white plug disappears and there is far less lag ???
Message 6 of 20 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 20, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:
You're not the one lagging someone else is lagging
This happened to me quite a few times in a 1vs1 custom game with a friend who had really bad connection I would constantly get the white plug & he was fine though, your game experience is suffering because the coding for UC3 punishes people with fast connection & caters to the other. I've also had experiences where after getting the white plug & getting killed the games literally fast forward or gives that impression as if its trying to catch up to what's happening on the other person's side of the game.

Of course I could be wrong since I'm NO wiz on these technical stuff just my theory from experience.

I only see the white plug in Co-op games when I'm playing with laggers, regardless of who is the host. It's really weird. I never see it in Competitive games.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 7 of 20 (452 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2013

Blennerville wrote:
@tap could you tell me, why i sometimes lag and get the white plug - but when the match finishes - after a match when you can run around and kill people for a few seconds - the white plug disappears and there is far less lag ???

Post some details about your setup (Ethernet/WiFi and a www.speedtest.net result).

Message 8 of 20 (448 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3227 posts

Feb 20, 2013
@Tapantaola - I've gotten the white plug a lot in competitive games especially over the last weekend where the lag seemed to increased ten folds due to everyone playing double XP & treasure.

I experience it more in competitive than Co-op actually.
Message 9 of 20 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 20, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:
@Tapantaola - I've gotten the white plug a lot in competitive games especially over the last weekend where the lag seemed to increased ten folds due to everyone playing double XP & treasure.

I experience it more in competitive than Co-op actually.

I used to have an ADSL2+ connection (24/1 down/up) and I never saw the white plug.

Now I have a faster VDSL2 connection (50/5 down/up) and I still don't see it. I always use wired though. The only way to see white plugs is if I open the uTorrent on my PC and I don't throttle the upload bandwidth...

Message 10 of 20 (434 Views)
0 Likes