Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/10/2011
Offline
6452 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

Aug 15, 2012

SouthpawLP wrote:
The melee range needs to also be reduced in Uncharted 4. That way, no need for rolling at all, just run away from someone and they can't Commando-slide you.

That's just lag though. The melee range is very short but combined with the auto melee and lag it reaches pretty far.

Message 51 of 178 (314 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/21/2010
Offline
1199 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

[ Edited ]
Aug 15, 2012

Auto melee is The Evil, and they should take that into account for their next games.

Message 52 of 178 (312 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/11/2011
Offline
4595 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

Aug 15, 2012

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

SouthpawLP wrote:
I guess we're just going to disagree here. Blindfire accuracy was incredibly high in the summer beta but it was tolerable because the sprint wasn't so flexible.

I guess we are going to disagree because blindfire was not tolerable then either.

 

What did make blindfire better then though was that there was no melee quick roll, so they couldn't try to take out half your health with no risk to themself like they can now.


They're not going to change melee or melee-rolling in Uncharted 3, for the last time. Why would ND put the melee-roll tutorial on Uncharted TV if they were going to change it?

 

Also, a lack of melee-rolling made no difference in the beta because if somebody punched you after blindfiring you, you would have been dead anyways. The summer beta did however have stopping power and balanced sprint.

 

Melee-rolling is the only thing making the melee system in Uncharted 3 interesting, and I know how to kill melee-rollers even if they get the first punch on me.

Message 53 of 178 (310 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/10/2011
Offline
6452 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

Aug 15, 2012

x_STARK_x wrote:
Another thing that would help this game achieve perfection would be the return of the sliding into cover animation.

It's in the game but for whatever reason they reserved it for only Monkey Man. The fast cover sliding that Monkey Man silver gets should at least be the default movement to cover for everyone, and would also result in less dying while going into cover or popping back out of cover because it to so long to get in and hitting circle again.

Message 54 of 178 (307 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/11/2011
Offline
4595 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

[ Edited ]
Aug 15, 2012

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

SouthpawLP wrote:
The melee range needs to also be reduced in Uncharted 4. That way, no need for rolling at all, just run away from someone and they can't Commando-slide you.

That's just lag though. The melee range is very short but combined with the auto melee and lag it reaches pretty far.


No it is not.

 

Ever punched a player while they were clearly jumping away from you? I have. They were jumping away from me on my screen and I managed to punch them out of the air anyways. It's not lag, it's a melee lunge and it needs to be taken out of Uncharted 4. If it's not a melee lunge then strafing doesn't increase aim assist and that's just your mind playing tricks with you too.

Message 55 of 178 (305 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/10/2011
Offline
6452 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

Aug 15, 2012

SouthpawLP wrote:

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

SouthpawLP wrote:
I guess we're just going to disagree here. Blindfire accuracy was incredibly high in the summer beta but it was tolerable because the sprint wasn't so flexible.

I guess we are going to disagree because blindfire was not tolerable then either.

 

What did make blindfire better then though was that there was no melee quick roll, so they couldn't try to take out half your health with no risk to themself like they can now.


They're not going to change melee or melee-rolling in Uncharted 3, for the last time. Why would ND put the melee-roll tutorial on Uncharted TV if they were going to change it?

 

Also, a lack of melee-rolling made no difference in the beta because if somebody punched you after blindfiring you, you would have been dead anyways. The summer beta did however have stopping power and balanced sprint.

 

Melee-rolling is the only thing making the melee system in Uncharted 3 interesting, and I know how to kill melee-rollers even if they get the first punch on me.


In the video Cog commentated, when he talked about "Way of the Iron Fist" he shows the melee and then roll technique, but he waits for the entire melee animation to finish and does not cut it short.

 

A lack or melee rolling did help the blindfire issue because people couldn't start with a melee without having to deal with the full animation, and they couldn't try and use a melee finisher without some risk that if they missed they would be stuck in a melee miss animation. Why would ND make the melee animation as long as they did and then make a way to cancel it every single time? It's contradictory.

 

Melee rolling doesn't make the melee system more interesting. It makes it more prone to lag and promotes effortless, fast killing close quarters combat that is so strong that it forces everyone to either use it or die, meaning all the risk that used to exist for meleeing is gone.

Message 56 of 178 (296 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/11/2011
Offline
4595 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

[ Edited ]
Aug 15, 2012

I'm talking about the BIG2 video when mentioning putting up a melee-rolling tutorial on Uncharted TV. I don't recall Cog's video being put on Uncharted TV.

 

You might not find it interesting, but it makes CQC much more intense and competitive than it was in Uncharted 2. I like it that way.

Message 57 of 178 (293 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/10/2011
Offline
6452 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

Aug 15, 2012

SouthpawLP wrote:

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

SouthpawLP wrote:
The melee range needs to also be reduced in Uncharted 4. That way, no need for rolling at all, just run away from someone and they can't Commando-slide you.

That's just lag though. The melee range is very short but combined with the auto melee and lag it reaches pretty far.


No it is not.

 

Ever punched a player while they were clearly jumping away from you? I have. They were jumping away from me on my screen and I managed to punch them out of the air anyways. It's not lag, it's a melee lunge and it needs to be taken out of Uncharted 4. If it's not a melee lunge then strafing doesn't increase aim assist and that's just your mind playing tricks with you too.


It's all latency. I've also missed punching someone trying to punch them and they jump away.

 

What does that have to do with aim assist taking a greater effect when you strafe? It happens. The game tries to compensate for your strafing and help you be more accurate. We all know it happens.

Message 58 of 178 (292 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/10/2011
Offline
6452 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

Aug 15, 2012

SouthpawLP wrote:
I'm talking about the BIG2 video when mentioning putting it up on Uncharted TV. I don't recall Cog's video being put on Uncharted TV.

Exactly. ND's own video saying how to do it isn't on there but some user created content is. To me unless ND gives me a response I'm not taking that as them saying it was intentional. Maybe they'll actually answer me in the most recent QA thread.

Message 59 of 178 (287 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/11/2011
Offline
4595 posts
 

Re: Just one more thing for perfection. Two, actually

Aug 15, 2012
I have punched people further than an arm's distance from me and I have a good connection. Maybe you haven't because they were too far away at that point, but I know that Uncharted 3 has a melee lunge.

What does it have to do with aim assist and strafing? Because I know it's not my mind playing tricks with me yet you insist it is. Neither are illusions. They are really there. Melee has an absurd range, period.
Message 60 of 178 (284 Views)