Sackboy
450 posts

Re: "Over 100,000 downloads of F2P"

Mar 6, 2013
100,000 F2P downloads is great, I can't imagine that too many will stick around though simply from the way it's been implemented. The cost it takes to unlock everything is ludicrous, in comparison to what you can buy the disc for now, and if people were going to buy the disc they would have already done so. If they had made the unlocks at a reasonable price then I'm sure they would make a lot more money, plus if they had offered a digital version to players already playing, I for one would pay a reasonable cost for this.
Message 21 of 43 (407 Views)
Survivor
2203 posts

Mar 6, 2013

Beelzebean wrote:
100,000 F2P downloads is great, I can't imagine that too many will stick around though simply from the way it's been implemented. The cost it takes to unlock everything is ludicrous, in comparison to what you can buy the disc for now, and if people were going to buy the disc they would have already done so. If they had made the unlocks at a reasonable price then I'm sure they would make a lot more money, plus if they had offered a digital version to players already playing, I for one would pay a reasonable cost for this.

Even if only 20000 players stick around it would be great for Uncharted's future.

If you think something is impossible, you’ll make it impossible.
Message 22 of 43 (400 Views)
Fender Bender
2477 posts

Mar 6, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

So, does North America notice less lag or not? I'm really curious...

in the DLC pool F2Pers are few and far between, so i cant really judge the lag.

I played a party of 5 americans yesterday (i live in america too) and they all seemed to lag horribly.

Ill play DLC off more and see how it feels

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 23 of 43 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

Mar 6, 2013

It still lags just the same as always, Tap... The net code itself causes about 750ms of input lag from my testing so even if they somehow optimized most the connection lag it will still feel super laggy & unacceptable.

Message 24 of 43 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 6, 2013

SCORPiON5150 wrote:

It still lags just the same as always, Tap... The net code itself causes about 750ms of input lag from my testing so even if they somehow optimized most the connection lag it will still feel super laggy & unacceptable.

I haven't noticed that much input lag, but on the other hand, they could tone down lag compensation just a bit:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Lag_compensation

"Low latency is a significant advantage when playing a multiplayer online game. Techniques like prediction and lag compensation try to minimize that advantage and allow a fair game for players with slower connections."

That's why ridiculous things like this one happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvd5rKAkCQ0

Everything else has been nerfed, so why not? I know I know, laggers gonna cry...

ps: It's also funny that they brag about having 100k F2P downloads and 500k players, but still they refuse to implement a ping filter toggle.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 25 of 43 (326 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 6, 2013

You can see a very in-depth description of the "input lag" I am talking about in this thread -  my post is the really long one near the bottom of the thread Smiley Wink

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/LAG-We-need-your-help/m-p/39028...

I'm familiar with lag compensation & definitely a possibility that was going on during my testing too... However, if ND's running 750ms of compensation that's unacceptable as well. It's literally the difference between taking cover or going around a corner @ full health & still taking a death even though you made all the right moves. I experience that exact scenario every match & always have... But that is not present on UC2 at all (was just playing a few days ago even).

I think it's ridiculous that the game doesn't have ping filters to begin with. I had been lobbying for that prior to UC3 even releasing but I was calling it an "optional region lock." ND closed the thread down after 7 pages of replies & posted test results that were significantly more extensive & detailed than in the post linked above. Pretty sure you were involved in the thread @ one point as well & I know that another very well known forum member that I don't see much of anymore was in there being the poster boy for how horrible of an idea it would be & demanding that his opinion is fact as usual, LOL.

Message 26 of 43 (303 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 6, 2013

Do you also have 750ms of input lag in LAN matches as well?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 27 of 43 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

Mar 6, 2013

Good question that I do not have the answer to -  but that would surely verify the situation...... I will fire up the PS3s & post the answer shortly!

Message 28 of 43 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 6, 2013

SCORPiON5150 wrote:

Good question that I do not have the answer to -  but that would surely verify the situation...... I will fire up the PS3s & post the answer shortly!

Yeah, that would clarify it... if it's an inherent game code issue, it would affect LAN as well.

Sometimes ISPs have crappy routing (even if they are in the same country).

Message 29 of 43 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

Mar 6, 2013

So I just tested it.. With 2 disc versions of the game that I have (obviously). I took it a step further & got out the stopwatch this time. 630ms appears to be the mark that I both hear & see the other character shoot on the opposite screen. It's so bad it's kind of hilarious to watch, & it makes you fully grasp how broken the game is. it also makes you fully realize why you are always getting killed in cover & experienceing ridiculous things like your mysterious death on village.

ANYONE that plays this game a lot & has the capability of seeing this first hand (i.e. owns 2 ps3s) should most definitely do so. It's a real eye opener to the outrageous moments that happen in the game! Add a little genuine connection lag to this 630ms of lag that ND never optimized at all & you have a full 3/4 second + of lag at the absolute BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO. That means it's likely more like 1 second + lag on every single movement or shot fired in the game from either side at any given time - & it only gets worse from that point on!

Makes you wonder if they even really test this stuff. Shame on ND either way for releasing such a busted product right out of the box, broken @ the very deepest core element of gameplay. On a competitive shooter it is an expected requirement that your enemy die within xx amount of shots, & an expected requirement that you do not take damage once you are out of the line of fire (i.e. in cover, around corner, etc).

What a joke.

Message 30 of 43 (265 Views)
0 Likes