Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Re: Is anyone else playing 1-3 back to back?

Mar 8, 2014

I marathoned them back to back last year, and it was a pure marathon. I think it took me 3-4 days. I played on normal to make it go faster.

This marathon actually made me change my mind about which one is my favorite. Three is the best one out of all of them, in my opinion. I discovered that one and two are mechanically the same, but two is more grand and expansive.

Three doesn't feel the same as one or two. It as more of an adventure feel to it, and the mechanics are a little different too, overall making it feel like a fresh, but similar experience. In short, by the time I finished two (for like the fifth time or something), I had put probably ten hours into the marathon, and because of how similar one and two feel, I was really becoming sick of it, and didn't know if I would even enjoy the third (again, probably like my third or fourth time on it).

The third actually made me like the series even more after that, as it just is so different in all the right ways. Sure, it may not be as tight story-wise, but it was such a breath of fresh air coming from back-to-backing one and two that I absolutely love the third now. The music, the environments, the animations, the mechanics, the pacing. It was all different where it needed to be, and I never really saw that until I marathoned them like you would a movie or tv series: straight up back to back ASAP. I played no other game and the only thing I did in my free time was play the series. 

So, snowballing off of the original question, did anybody who has played them back to back change their mind about their favorite, or even just specific preferences between the games?

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 14 (201 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Mar 8, 2014

Rogue_Eagle wrote:

I marathoned them back to back last year, and it was a pure marathon. I think it took me 3-4 days. I played on normal to make it go faster.

This marathon actually made me change my mind about which one is my favorite. Three is the best one out of all of them, in my opinion. I discovered that one and two are mechanically the same, but two is more grand and expansive.

Three doesn't feel the same as one or two. It as more of an adventure feel to it, and the mechanics are a little different too, overall making it feel like a fresh, but similar experience. In short, by the time I finished two (for like the fifth time or something), I had put probably ten hours into the marathon, and because of how similar one and two feel, I was really becoming sick of it, and didn't know if I would even enjoy the third (again, probably like my third or fourth time on it).

The third actually made me like the series even more after that, as it just is so different in all the right ways. Sure, it may not be as tight story-wise, but it was such a breath of fresh air coming from back-to-backing one and two that I absolutely love the third now. The music, the environments, the animations, the mechanics, the pacing. It was all different where it needed to be, and I never really saw that until I marathoned them like you would a movie or tv series: straight up back to back ASAP. I played no other game and the only thing I did in my free time was play the series. 

So, snowballing off of the original question, did anybody who has played them back to back change their mind about their favorite, or even just specific preferences between the games?

I know what you mean.

Google+ Facebook Twitter
This is one of the best videos ever, watch it
"I've got the disguise and my pants are on backwards. Nobody will notice I graduated over a decade ago" - Player, "Retro city rampage."
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 14 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

Mar 10, 2014

I marathoned from Golden Abyss to 1, 2, and then 3. 

I was surpised by how poorly the gameplay in Uncharted 1 holds up in comparison to the other three. It's still a gorgeous game with a fun story and stellar graphics and art direction--but the gameplay quickly became a chore. It's really a testament to Naughty Dog's growth in how well they improved every aspect of the gameplay in each sequel. 

There's been a little schism in the Uncharted fanbase since Uncharted 3 released, a lot of fans fighting over which is better (I don't know why you would fight over something so trivial, they're both amazing). After marathoning the series I've come to the conclusions:

1. Uncharted 2 is the game that embodies the series. It is a masterpiece in every aspect and stands on its own the best, and I can understand why it is the greatest (greater long-term affects in the gaming industry; greater lasting impression) in the series. 

2. Uncharted 3 is the best game in the series. Like you said, the storytelling execution could have been a little tighter--but the story that was there was simply a better tale with greater weight/meaning and substance. Everything else--from the pacing to every aspect of the gameplay and art--was improved as well. I think the biggest hurdle that Uncharted 3 has was the expectation that it was going to blow Uncharted 2 out of the water like Uncharted 2 did to 1; and while it didn't do that, I am happy that it at least met that bar that 2 set. 

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 14 (184 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Mar 10, 2014

DIONEDA wrote:

I marathoned from Golden Abyss to 1, 2, and then 3. 

I was surpised by how poorly the gameplay in Uncharted 1 holds up in comparison to the other three. It's still a gorgeous game with a fun story and stellar graphics and art direction--but the gameplay quickly became a chore. It's really a testament to Naughty Dog's growth in how well they improved every aspect of the gameplay in each sequel. 

There's been a little schism in the Uncharted fanbase since Uncharted 3 released, a lot of fans fighting over which is better (I don't know why you would fight over something so trivial, they're both amazing). After marathoning the series I've come to the conclusions:

1. Uncharted 2 is the game that embodies the series. It is a masterpiece in every aspect and stands on its own the best, and I can understand why it is the greatest (greater long-term affects in the gaming industry; greater lasting impression) in the series. 

2. Uncharted 3 is the best game in the series. Like you said, the storytelling execution could have been a little tighter--but the story that was there was simply a better tale with greater weight/meaning and substance. Everything else--from the pacing to every aspect of the gameplay and art--was improved as well. I think the biggest hurdle that Uncharted 3 has was the expectation that it was going to blow Uncharted 2 out of the water like Uncharted 2 did to 1; and while it didn't do that, I am happy that it at least met that bar that 2 set. 

YES FINALY PEOPLE GET IT THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING THE INTIER TIME IVE BEEN ON HERE!!!

Google+ Facebook Twitter
This is one of the best videos ever, watch it
"I've got the disguise and my pants are on backwards. Nobody will notice I graduated over a decade ago" - Player, "Retro city rampage."
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 14 (179 Views)
0 Likes