Highlighted
Mar 15 2014
By: C1NEMAC First Son 2 posts

Limited Swearing in UC4

[ Edited ]
24 replies 1617 views Edited May 29, 2014

I love the Uncharted series. It has been the main reason I purchased a PS3. I'm not going to cry and moan about Amy Hennig leaving as Creative Director, as the only thing that stays the same in this world is that things always change. Hearing that the Creative Directors for 'The Last of Us' have now taken the helm, I am concerned about the possibility of rampant "F" bombs being thrown around carelessly as was in 'The Last of Us'.

I have two children, neither of them old enough to hear constant language like that while I try to play. In fact, I could only play that game when they were asleep, which many times was hit or miss due to my sporadic work schedule. I'm no holy roller or goody-goody who doesn't swear, but Jesus....why do I have to hear "**bleep**" at least once after every checkpoint in a game? I think that word is used more than the word "you", and I am not kidding. It made the game feel white-trashy for me, and I have no plans on buying a sequal soley for that reason. Maybe as the writers mature, they will see story is about character development and conflict, not "cool adult language".

My hopes are that this franchise doesn't go in that direction now that the Creative Director's have changed.

Mod edit: Profanity

-SpicyGoose19

Message 1 of 25 (1,617 Views)
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Re: Limited Swearing in UC4

Mar 16, 2014

Cursing would be common in a world like The Last of Us. It's realistic...people curse, especially in life threatening situations. I think there will be about the same amout of cursing in Uncharted 4 as any other Uncharted. I wish there were more though. Cursing is humorous, it adds a nice emphasis to some sentences! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 25 (1,598 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

Mar 19, 2014

C1NEMAC wrote:

I love the Uncharted series. It has been the main reason I purchased a PS3. I'm not going to cry and moan about Amy Hennig leaving as Creative Director, as the only thing that stays the same in this world is that things always change. Hearing that the Creative Directors for 'The Last of Us' have now taken the helm, I am concerned about the possibility of rampant "F" bombs being thrown around carelessly as was in 'The Last of Us'.

I have two children, neither of them old enough to hear constant language like that while I try to play. In fact, I could only play that game when they were asleep, which many times was hit or miss due to my sporadic work schedule. I'm no holy roller or goody-goody who doesn't swear, but Jesus....why do I have to hear "f*ck" at least once after every checkpoint in a game? I think that word is used more than the word "you", and I am not kidding. It made the game feel white-trashy for me, and I have no plans on buying a sequal soley for that reason. Maybe as the writers mature, they will see story is about character development and conflict, not "cool adult language".

My hopes are that this franchise doesn't go in that direction now that the Creative Director's have changed.

Because this is how people actually speak while under duress. If you're being shot at or in pain you're not going to say "by golly gee wilickers!". And people who travel in these underworld circles where they deal with the more unseemly side of society typically do not observe the type of decorum you want them to uphold.

If you're concerned about your children hearing this type of language, then either don't play the game or buy a pair of headphones.

Message 3 of 25 (1,563 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Is this from experience? You've been shot at and have had to live in underworld situations, and you know from a factual standpoint that the "F" word was needed every other sentence? Justifying its use because "that's what it would be like for real" is a cop-out. A writer can communicate the desperation of survival in an apocolyptic scenario through the transformation of a character, with or without the F bomb. Maybe because you're a kid and you say it every-other word, you have become too numb to empathise with others' concerns.

Message 4 of 25 (1,513 Views)
Sackboy
389 posts

Mar 27, 2014
Best advice: Quit playing M-rated games in front of your kids.
Message 5 of 25 (1,487 Views)
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

Mar 29, 2014

C1NEMAC wrote:

Is this from experience? You've been shot at and have had to live in underworld situations, and you know from a factual standpoint that the "F" word was needed every other sentence? Justifying its use because "that's what it would be like for real" is a cop-out. A writer can communicate the desperation of survival in an apocolyptic scenario through the transformation of a character, with or without the F bomb. Maybe because you're a kid and you say it every-other word, you have become too numb to empathise with others' concerns.

You're not from a big city, are you?

Message 6 of 25 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
127 posts

Mar 29, 2014

I see your point but they were trying to be realistic. I do think there are other words that can be used in duress however. 

But TLOU is a much different setting than UC. I don't remember an abundance of swearing in the UC games.

NP - Destiny, Shadow of Mordor, FIFA 15, NHL 15, Injustice Gods Among us

Get your Portable ID!
Message 7 of 25 (1,465 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2014

Okay how about this; they wanted to make a game that was for a more MATURE audience. Not everything is going to be kid friendly, and no this is not "different because it's video games". You're not going to watch The Godfather or A Clockwork Orange around your kids, are you? They have the freedom to create whatever game they want, and shouldn't have to limit their artistic freedom to suit what you feel is and isn't appropriate. If you're concerned about the use of language, then choose games that are more suitable to play around your children. 

Message 8 of 25 (1,459 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Mar 31, 2014

God, people like you are so retarded. "I'm not going to buy a game because tehre is too much swearing huur duur". It's realistic get over it, do you expect words swear words to be replaced with: Darn, Fudge and Gosh? That would break the immersion of the game so bad. One more thing, when you buy games mak sure to check the rating of the game before buying it.

Message 9 of 25 (1,452 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

Apr 10, 2014

You dont need the F word to make something feel real, i say most of the time puting swar words in things makes theme feel less real. im desapited in you guys i thought the playstation forums would know better, i mean youtube comments agree with me. what has this word come to.

Google+ Facebook Twitter
This is one of the best videos ever, watch it
"I've got the disguise and my pants are on backwards. Nobody will notice I graduated over a decade ago" - Player, "Retro city rampage."
Message 10 of 25 (1,395 Views)