Mar 12 2013
By: bilge656 First Son 15 posts

This needs to be discussed, what Tomb Raider does better

7 replies 825 views Edited Mar 12, 2013

Tomb Raider, while completely different than Uncharted in execution, does one thing better than this series that I think needs to be considered in Uncharted 4. The setting is nailed so perfectly, that it makes the Uncharted series beautiful vistas look, well, less impressive. Uncharted 2 is my favorite game of all time, but I think that the setting and tone can make the next iteration much better. I understand they are meant to be different, but I still think it should be discussed.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 8 (825 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Re: This needs to be discussed, what Tomb Raider does better

Mar 13, 2013
I haven't played TR but I don't see anything wrong with the settings in Uncharted
Message 2 of 8 (818 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Mar 16, 2013

What's wrong with Uncharted's setting? You have to understand that just because it' colorful doesn't mean it's not any good.

Message 3 of 8 (794 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Mar 17, 2013
It's not that, it is that you are entirely absorbed in the setting, which while Uncharted sometimes does, not always.
Message 4 of 8 (784 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

May 4, 2013

If you're comparing it with the new Tomb Raider game that just came out this year, then remember that the whole setting for that game took place only on an island. shipwrecked, survive the island, after a few hours you get use to the area.  Uncharted however would jump from one area to another across the globe, as the story progresses, something that the older Tomb Raider games always did.

Best Game in UC2: 20 kills, 0 deaths in The Lab. (thanks to default pistols and grenades)
Best Game in UC3: 20 kills, 0 deaths in Classic mode
Message 5 of 8 (717 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Jul 9, 2013
Eh I have no problem whatsoever with the UC settings infact I like them way more than TR2013, I do wish there were things like hidden tombs and stuff you could discover and explore in UC though
Message 6 of 8 (606 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1541 posts

Jul 12, 2013

I'll admit, Tomb Raider gave me that personal experience where I could connect with Lara. I felt as if her evolution from a frightened girl to a powerful woman gave the story and her sense of self a stronger personality.

I found myself mesmerised in some of the scenery on the island and I have to admit that Uncharted 3 didn't give me that sense of adventure. I mean it was basically all shooting and it's not like your plot was to save the people who you love. It was basically all a game to him which gave Drake a cocky personality... well, cockier than usual.

Tomb Raider gave us that feeling of sacrifice for one another. Many characters would risk their lives or try to protect one another whereas in Uncharted, Drake just about didn't care that Cutter broke his leg. Hell, after that Drake's character went downhill.

Long story short, Tomb Raider gave us that sense of evolution in people, the sacrifices which we may experience on a smaller scale everyday and the emotional side of the game tapped into our sense of belonging and watching her transform into a powerful person.

Uncharted however didn't provide any of this. Drake's emotional side has never been the best but was strengthened by his love for Sully and by what means he would do to help him. But when Sully broke his leg and he didn't care, that just... lost me. I need a character who even though he seems all macho, he can still evolve. I mean there was just about no sacrifice anywhere in Uncharted. I felt next to no emotion while playing Uncharted 3.

Playing a game is like reading a book or listening to a song. They all have plots and they have little bits which you're expecting. You're expecting a story to be told about someone evolving, sacrificing or doing something. You expect a story to be told with emotion and that's what makes us fall in love with something. There was just about no emotion in Uncharted 3 whereas it was everywhere in Tomb Raider. Even the trees had a sad emotional aura around some of them.

Bang Bang!

Message 7 of 8 (595 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1099 posts

Jul 18, 2013
^I'm so glad I knew you were a girl before reading that post.
Message 8 of 8 (573 Views)