Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 03 2010
By: TRUST-COmikieson First Son 7 posts

Most underrated game out

12 replies 220 views Edited Sep 3, 2010

Its a classic game with great,fun replay just like in 99. I cant believe it didnt take off and do better than it did. Seriously...I play against bots every day and its just fun..SSoooooo glad I bought this used for last week.

Message 1 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3399 posts

Re: Most underrated game out

Sep 4, 2010

I agree 100%

I'll give you a couple reasons why it didn't do so well...

Most UT fans grew up playing the game on PC. The ports of the original UT were a little sub-par mainly because it had no online or custom mod support. So the console port history on PC and Dreamcast wern't so great.

There were a couple of UT spin-offs (UT Championship) on the original Xbox, but UT fans didn't pay MUCH attention, as they prefered to use a keyboard and mouse. However, they sold well enough that they decided to put out UT3 on console.

The console version of UT3 doesn't support 32 online players, only 16. It also runs a bit slower on the consoles. The 360 version doesn't support custom mods. While the PS3 DOES, it didn't originally support custom sounds (it WAS patched in almost 2 years later)

So PC gamers didn't feel the need to switch from PC to console. Even with the support of keyboard and mouse, it just wasn't on par with the PC version of the game.

Finally, and this is the main reason why it didn't do so well... Call of Duty 4. It pretty much distroyed any chance UT3 had. UT3 came out in Nov 2007, just 2 weeks after COD4. While the reviews were great for UT3. At this point the world was discovering what an amazing game that COD4 was. UT3 got burried and forgotten.

I will always love the UT series.

.. and FUTHERMORE, do you realize you're reading my signature?!?

Gameplays, Reviews, Playstation Move videos, ect... www.youtube.com/farmhousemedia3000
Message 2 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
577 posts

Sep 8, 2010

I followed Unreal since the original Unreal game.

I agree it is very underated.   Quite a hidden gem with the mod inclustion.  It's incredible for PS3 which you usually just see on PC games.  Many have heard of Unreal Tournament 3, but hardly anyone I speak to knows of the mod features.  If it were advertised a little better for the PS3 it would have been a major selling point for many.

Message 3 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Sep 11, 2010

Yeah, I still don't get why more people don't buy UT3, it's dirt cheap now (on sale for $5 sometimes!) and it's AMAZING looking and it's a game you can always come back to.  Even though I don't play everyday, I can pop it in anytime and play and I have an awesome time.  I've tried to convince my friends to get it but they are all cheapskates and aren't even willing to spend 5-10 bucks on this amazing game.  I guess I like it a little more than them since it was my first platnium, sentimental value and all *tear* haha.

Message 4 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 11, 2010

I know its fun to me. Heck I dont even care if anyone plays it online as I play the bots and its the same as online to me. I just like it. It brought back tons of memories from the 1st one. Heck Im one of the few that loved UT and Quake for PS2. Played the heck out of them. The bad thing about consoles is nobody stays with a game very long. PC gamers stick with them for years and have tons of support for them. Just too bad I gave up on pcgaming a long time ago.

Anyways...everyone go out and buy this game...Its a true gem in a sea of salt.

Message 5 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, I've been looking at this game lately and it looks like a solid one! I am getting this game next.
SIG 2
Message 6 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Sep 12, 2010

TRUST-COmikieson wrote:

The bad thing about consoles is nobody stays with a game very long. PC gamers stick with them for years and have tons of support for them.

Huh, yeah, you're right.  Why is that you think?  The game is just as good on console as it is on the PC isn't it?  Then why the drop in interest?

Message 7 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
93 posts

Sep 12, 2010

You guys make me really want to go and buy this game. I loved Unreal Championship 2 on the original xbox and I was just playing with the bots. I saw this for 8.99 the other day in Gamestop so when I go back I will def be picking it up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
577 posts

Sep 13, 2010

Yeah and one of the coolest features is its a rare game for PS3 that has mods.  That definitely helps raise replay value once you get campaign, mutiplayer, and trophies out of the way.  They literally got hundreds of mods ppl created for this game.  Characters like Old Snake, Master Chief, Spawn, Radec, Billy Mays, and even older UT characters like Crow.  Silent Hill, Socom, Halo, Mario recreated levels.  There are also official mods available as soon as you get the game that are available to DL.  They were made fan contests sanctioned by the UT3 devs.

In case someone is wondering about mods, this is the basis of what you'll be doing if you want a mod. 

Find a UT3 mod source.  There's a handful of sites and forums and they're free. 

Its super easy and can be done from the PS3 browser or PC.

Only 1 file at a time seeing as all files have same file name.  Just make sure its a PS3 format file.

All you need is a memory stick to DL them off the website then upload to game.  

A few haven't worked or were glitchy, but majority of them work fine. 

Message 9 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 13, 2010

Can you be a little more help on this "MOD" stuff? Can you link some sites? ALSO I have a memory card and ready I can use on the PS3 and PC. Will that work or do I have to have a memory stick?

Message 10 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes