Dec 17 2011
By: RatchetH22 Treasure Hunter 5914 posts

Ratchet and Ckank Future: A Crack in Time

5 replies 486 views Edited Dec 17, 2011

This is an old review of mine that I wrote a couple of years back.

In 2002, the developer Insomniac Games released the original Ratchet and Clank. Now, almost 7 years later, Insomniac has released the 7th game in the series. This release marks the end of the "Future" trilogy, which took a greater emphasis on the story. With so many games in the franshise, you would think that the gameplay would begin to grow stale. However, the masterminds at Insomniac Games manage to keep the game fresh with various improvements, as well as by adding the ability to take Aphelion, Ratchet's ship, into space.

Story:

In A Crack in Time, Insomniac has once again crafted a gripping story. Dr. Nefarious, the main villian in Up Your Arsenal, returns to the spotlight in another attempt to cause havok in the galaxy. This time, however, he is tampering with a power far greater than anyone can imagine, and that is time itself. Nefarious's main goal is to use the Great Clock, the main set piece in the game, to rewind time and to create a universe where the hero always loses. Lawrence, Nefarious's sarcastic robotic butler, also returns in A Crack in Time. Every time Lawrence appears in a scene, I knew that a hilarious quip was going to be thrown at Nefarious. Clank, the loveable robot sidekick of Ratchet, plays a much more integral part of the story than in past games. Clank is the heir of the Great Clock, and must do whatever he can to stop Nefarious from capturing the clock, a fate which would cause the ultimate destruction of the galaxy.

Meanwhile, Ratchet teams up with the oafish Captain Qwark in an effort to find the still missing Clank. This odd tag team ends up producing a wide array of laughs. Qwark, who has always provided fantastic one liners in past games, completely steals the show this time around. Just when you think he can do anything more over the top, he does. At one point in the game, Qwark completely blindsided me when he goes undercover dressed up as a female nurse. Just the look on Ratchet's face when he sees this made me burst into uncontrollable laughter.

Gameplay:

The Ratchet and Clank series has been known for its complete over the top weaponry, and A Crack in Time is no exception. The weapons are much more explosive, and are just plain fun to use. The Groovitron, a returning gadget turned weapon from Tools of Destruction, continues to be one my favorite weapons. It's ability to cause enemies to uncontrollably dance still brings side-splitting laughter every time I use it. The latest iteration of the destructive RYNO manages to blow past models straight into orbit. It's ability to create complete devestation is simply unrivaled. In additon to upgrades to past weapons, Insomniac has brought several innovative new weapons to the table, such as the Rift Inducer. This weapon, as the name suggests, creates a rift, and allows a creature named "Fred" to come into your dimension and attack various enemies. The Constructo weapons are yet another new addition to the series. These weapons are completely customizable, and are simply a blast to use in game. Various upgrades for these weapons can be found in the many worlds in A Crack in Time, and can change the function of the weapon completely.

Space gameplay has returned in A Crack in Time. You can now freely land on planets at whim, and this new feature simply immerses the player more into the game compared to previous entries of the series. In addition to this, you have the option to land on moons, which contain various items such as Gold Bolts and Zoni. While flying in space is fun, it does get a bit repetitive after a while. You can only fly at a certain height. This is decent, but I would have enjoyed flying in all angles and directions much more enjoyable. Maybe in the next Ratchet and Clank Insomniac can do this.

Graphics:

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time is, without a doubt, one of the best looking games on the Playstation 3. Insomniac is known for creating beautifully rendered textures in their games, and ACiT is no exception. The enviroments are very well designed, and look absolutely stunning. In addition to this, the characters themselves look fantastic, and animate fluidly. I couldn't help but stare in awe at some of the worlds, such as Axiom City, simply due to how great they looked. A Crack in Time is by far the best looking Ratchet and Clank game, and I look forward to seeing what Insomniac is a pull off in later entries in the series.

Sound:

The voice acting on A Crack in Time is simply phenomenal. The voices for characters are spot on, and entirely believable. Some games have characters whose voice actors you can tell don't care about the final product. Such is not the case with ACiT. The actors in this game truly go the extra mile when showcasing the character, and it shows in the game. Lines that normally wouldn't have been interesting are bolstered up because of this, which causes the game to be that much better. The soundtrack for the game is also a masterpiece. The music that plays in the game always fits the occasion, and makes the game much more enjoyable to play. The guns themselves sound nice, and the fact that the new RYNO has it's own theme music is very fitting.

I mustn't forget Space Radio. The four radio stations available are all great to listen to, as each provides it's own unique theme. The real spotlight of Space Radio are the advertisements and news announcements. Hearing Qwark advertise his new movie "My Blaster Runs Hot" and "Unicop" are absolutely hilarious, and hearing the two news anchors constantly bicker at each other is a sight to see. If the Space gameplay returns in the next Ratchet and Clank game, I would love to see much more expansive Space Radio.

Conclusion:

I've been a fan of Ratchet and Clank for several years now, and have always been impressed how Insomniac keeps the series interesting. Without a doubt in my mind, A Crack in Time is the best in the franchise. Although the gameplay is the same, it is still just as fun as it was when the original was released. Insomniac Games has once again released a superb game in the franchise, and has given the Future trilogy a fitting end. The game itself is a blast to play, the graphics are beautiful, and the game itself sounds amazing. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time is yet another example of how Insomniac can create a quality experience.

Overall Rating: 9.5/10

-RatchetH22

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (486 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4392 posts

Re: Ratchet and Ckank Future: A Crack in Time

Dec 29, 2011

Good review, i still need to pick this one up.

*/_\*
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (486 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5914 posts

Jan 8, 2012

Emerald_Swords wrote:

I highly recommend doing so! It's been out for a while now, so I imagine it's a bit cheaper at this point.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (486 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6916 posts

Jan 8, 2012

Emerald_Swords wrote:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Free userbars
p

you definitely need to pick it up , i'd give it a 9.5 / 10 too , one of the best games on the system in my opinion

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (486 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Jan 31, 2012

If you don't like puzzles then this one is not for you.

I like the R&C series back when it was on the ps2. It was more fun and less work. I just wanted to blow stuff up, not more time puzzles

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (486 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5692 posts

Jul 4, 2012

Good review mate! Well done!

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (483 Views)
0 Likes