Aug 22 2012
By: SlashZaku PlayStation MVP 41020 posts

Sony Closes Studio Liverpool

10 replies 512 views Edited Aug 22, 2012

Just sad :smileysad::

Sony Computer Entertainment has closed its Liverpool studio, it has said in a statement. The studio was responsible for the WipEout series, and handled the F1 series before Sony gave up the license.

“It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years,” said Sony in a statement. “Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.

“However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.”

Sony’s Liverpool Facility will continue to operate and house the company’s other Worldwide Studios and departments.

According to a Eurogamer source, Liverpool was at work on two PlayStation 4 launch titles before its closure. One of these was a new, “dramatically different” WipEout that had been in development between 12 and 18 months. The other was a Splinter Cell-style game, whose motion capture tech was said to be “a bit ahead of” L.A. Noire‘s.

Gematsu

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (512 Views)
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Re: Sony Closes Studio Liverpool

Aug 22, 2012

Doesn't mean a thing to me. Sony can get any developer to make more games in those series. If you are feeling bad about the developers that worked at that studio, please keep in mind that video game developers always land on their feet especially since having that kind of talent (developing games is not something Joe Schmoe can do on a whim) is so far and few. Look at 38 Studios. Every single person from that debacle got a job.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (510 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8 posts

Aug 22, 2012

This is hugely dissapointing to me, as Psygnosis' games are one of the primary reasons I am as passionate about gaming as I am today and a critical reason the original Playstation was the success it ended up being.

Wipeout HD/Fury still stands as one of the PS3's best games to date, Wipeout Pure was the solitary reason I bought a PSP and Wipeout 2048 (along with Uncharted: Golden Abyss) was all I needed to purchase a PS Vita.

I have no doubt that Sony will hand off development of the next Wipeout to another internal studio, the IP is too important to the PS brand, but it's not going to be the same. It won't have that immediate familiarity that fans of the series love. The Wipeout games have a very specific feel that I highly doubt another developer will be able to replicate 100%.

And for those who have forgotten, Sony did hand off one Wipeout title to another development team in 2002 (though still done in-house at Studio Liverpool), which gave us the atrocious Wipeout Fusion. A game so bad it effectively killed the series for an entire console generation.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (498 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Aug 23, 2012
I've been looking forward for the longest to Studio Liverpool at least taking a shot at a new Colony Wars. Me and my dad used to play the hell out of CW: Vengeance on PS1. If he wasn't playing Soul Blade, he was playing CW. I've been waiting since the PS2 era to see a new one :smileysad:

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
303 posts

Aug 23, 2012

Unfortunately I feel like I got into the WipEout series late, although I was always interested in the game. When I was younger, I played some of the Demos to the earlier games on PS1. The first WipEout I ever owned was WipEout Pure, next was WipEout HD, then 2048. It quickly became one of my favorite game series. News such as this makes me feel like i've been missing out on so many great titles over the years. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (492 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
735 posts

Aug 25, 2012

I am extremely dissapointed and am wondering why there hasn't been a greater public outcry from more fellow playstation fans.

WipEout is why I started playing on console gaming again, after completeing skipping out on the sixth generation of video games, losing interest in console video games and handheld gaming complety since my n64 and gbc.

I was only a newcomer to WipEout this generation. I was broswing around on the internet, when I stumbled onto the WipEout pulse trailer. When I saw that trailer for WipEout pulse with the Exceeder track playing in the background, I wanted to buy that game. I went on to purchase a star wars PSP just for that game when it released. and I was extremely satisfied with my purchase. I loved that game, getting gold medals left and right. The rain drops on fort gale were amazing, I never imagined handheld gaming could pull off things like that.

Since then I went to purchase more PSP games, and bought a PS3 and built a library for that as well. I even went back to Nintendo to check what they offered as well (though not as satisfied with my purchase).

It all started with WipEout Pulse though, would have never bothered to come back to console video gaming without that game.

I went on to see little gems on the PSP that have made my all time favourite games, like Jeanne D'arc, Gundam VS Gundam. Clocking in atleast a thousand hours on Gundam VS Gundam and over 400 on WipEout pulse, the PSP was a worthwhile purchase and I had my fun.

I hadn't had a chance to check out WipEout HD or 2048 simply because i've been carried away in a huge backlog of PS3 games and have no interest in purchasing a Vita until it has built in memory. I will say however, I will play the titles eventually and know that I will probably love them as I did with Pulse.

But this really hurt me on the inside. The devs that made the game that showed me what I was missing out on are fading away. I understand that Sony was in some financial trouble, but they could have atleast kept the WipEout developers. I know Psygnosis was around long before Sony had even entered gaming, they slowed down as studio liverpool under Sony like Rareware did under M$, but the WipEout games are amazing,and to shut down this dev is a big mistake Sony.

The games are amazing, if anyone is to blame that they aren't producing enough profit, its Sony and their terrible marketing. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (484 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Sep 20, 2012

Due to the fanbase that WipEout has built around it, I find it hard to believe Sony would just let it die. They would at the very least have to make a PlayStation Home version of it, that is to say an online version where you access the game through PlayStation Home (kind of like the sodium series) and play an online match against other online players.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (460 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Oct 13, 2012

Still bums me out to think about. Talented studio.

I hate when a development studio is closed due to marketing devisions failures to sell their products. If the dev studio provides quality games, then the marketing department should be able to sell it. If not fire them and get better people.

I wish Sony were at a better place so they didn't have to close them.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6342 posts

Jan 15, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

Sony Computer Entertainment has closed its Liverpool studio, it has said in a statement. The studio was responsible for the WipEout series, and handled the F1 series before Sony gave up the license.

“It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years,” said Sony in a statement. “Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.

“However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.”

Sony’s Liverpool Facility will continue to operate and house the company’s other Worldwide Studios and departments.

According to a Eurogamer source, Liverpool was at work on two PlayStation 4 launch titles before its closure. One of these was a new, “dramatically different” WipEout that had been in development between 12 and 18 months. The other was a Splinter Cell-style game, whose motion capture tech was said to be “a bit ahead of” L.A. Noire‘s.

Gematsu

I have a question does  in the yellow mean they went indepedant 3rds party.. can  you  give me a estimate with your opinion ?

, im confused with this statement they made

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (368 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 15, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Gematsu

I have a question does  in the yellow mean they went indepedant 3rds party.. can  you  give me a estimate with your opinion ?

, im confused with this statement they made

It means that Liverpool's facilities will given to Sony's other studios in Europe, most likely their London & Cambridge studios.

FYI "Worldwide Studios" is short for SCE Worldwide Studios: http://www.worldwidestudios.net/en/Homepage

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (364 Views)
0 Likes